Hollow Horn Bear 1850 - 1913




Hollow Horn Bear (Lakota name Matȟó Héȟloǧeča) (ca. 1850 – 1913) was a Brulé Lakota leader during the Indian Wars on the Great Plains of the United States.


Hollow Horn Bear was born in what today is Sheridan County, Nebraska. He was the son of chief Iron Shell. Although he initially raided the Pawnee, he later was involved in harassing forts along the Bozeman Trail with other Sioux leaders between 1866 and 1868. During this period, he became famous as the chief who defeated Capt. William Fetterman. However, he began to favor peace with the whites during the 1870s. He became a celebrity in the East, and was present at several functions as a native representative. He was featured on a 14-cent postage stamp and on a five dollar bill.


He was appointed the head of Indian police at the South Dakota Rosebud Agency, and stamparrested Crow Dog for the murder of Spotted Tail. He was also involved in treaty negotiations. In June of 1895 he demanded the removal of J. George Wright, an unpopular Indian Agent, over the reduction of Indian rations and fright allowances. Hollow Horn Bear issued 21 days' notice to the Agent to abdicate and for the Whites to leave the Reservation. In September of 1895 Agent Wright imprisoned Hollow Horn Bear in the agency's guardhouse but, subsequently, released him. In 1896 Wright was promoted to the position of Indian Inspector, with authority that extended over numerous Indian Reservations and agencies. In 1905, Hollow Horn Bear was invited to take part in the presidential inauguration of Theodore Roosevelt, and in 1913, he led a group of Indians to the inauguration parade of President Woodrow Wilson. He caught pneumonia during the visit and died.













After a Skirmish with the Brule Sioux Indians in 1855, an army lieutenant found a child alone on the battlefield. He returned it to the Brules. This child was Hollow Horn Bear, the son of Chief Iron Shell. Chief Hollow Horn Bear became a great orator, and was interested in the plight of the Brule Sioux people. He was present at the inauguration of President Theodore Roosevelt and President Woodrow Wilson, While in Washington he contracted pneumonia and died. His body was shipped back to the Rosebud Reservation in Nebraska in 1913. His portrait is on the old 14 cent U.S. postage stamp land the old $5.00 currency bill.